Essential Oil Cleaning Spray: A Time-Saving DIY Multi-Purpose Cleaner
This essential oil cleaning spray is an incredible time-saver as it is a DIY multi-purpose cleaner spray that can be used in every room of the home!
Do you ever feel like you have absolutely no idea where all your time goes? It’s like I wake up before the sunrise to get my daughter off to school on the bus, and the next thing you know, BOOM, I have five minutes before the school bus will be back.
Between managing a business and caring for our family, I’m not left with much time to manage our household, let alone self-care (which is so important). That’s why when I can create something that will save me time, I’m all in! Like the DIY shower steamers, I learned to make that act as a bath bomb but can be enjoyed in a quick shower with the benefits of aromatherapy.
Well, this essential oil cleaning spray is just as life-changing! It’s an easy, super affordable DIY multi-purpose cleaner that can be used in every room of the home. Take this morning, for example, toothpaste all over my husband’s side of the vanity – gone, dried yogurt on the kitchen island – gone, my iced latte knocked by our Vizsla – all cleaned up.
This genie in a bottle does it all!
Cleaning is, in fact, one of the best ways to use essential oils. And this DIY essential oil cleaning spray saves me so much time because I can use it to clean multiple surfaces and rooms in our home.
I know it will make a difference for you, too, even if you feel like there’s not enough time in the day.
This article contains some affiliate links for your convenience; read the full disclosure policy.
How do I make a multi-purpose cleaner? Is this another vinegar cleaning recipe?
Don’t like the smell of vinegar cleaners? Neither do I! And it turns out there are literally dozens of ways to use a vinegar cleaner, BUT for those of us with granite or other natural stone countertops – vinegar is bad news!
Even as a small 5% of a cleaning solution, vinegar is so acidic that it can easily deteriorate the sealant and dull the shiny finish that protects the porous stone, like granite and marble, from scratches and stains.
And according to the CDC, when you make a homemade cleaner with 70% alcohol and .5% hydrogen peroxide, it disinfects surfaces too.
For these reasons, I make a multipurpose cleaning spray without vinegar, not just because it smells strong.
And with a blend of powerful cleaning essential oils, your homemade cleaner will actually smell good, eliminate spills, sticky messes, and just about anything else life presents to you.
What essential oils are good for cleaning?
Everyone likes a clean, fresh-smelling home. Don’t we? Well, essential oils good for cleaning can do just that, along with their unique plant-based benefits. Here’s a list of the cream of the crop when it comes to cleaning with essential oils:
- Lemon Myrtle
- Tea tree
I choose a refreshing, herbal blend of lemon and sage essential oils to make a DIY multi-purpose cleaning spray. You can create your own blend from this list of oils or use choose another blend from this printable chart below.
Use these blends to create an essential oil cleaning spray to freshen your home anytime with this printable blend sheet from our Oily Chic Library.
Related To: How to Make Essential Oil Foaming Hand Soap
What Can You Use a Multi-Purpose Cleaner For?
I thought you’d never ask! This DIY multi purpose cleaner made with essential oils can be used in countless ways. But, let’s start with twenty ways I use just ONE cleaner to save time!
- Remove fingerprints from stainless appliances
- Disinfect surfaces after prepping meat
- Clean kitchen and bathroom sinks
- Remove grime from door handles and switch plates
- Disinfect plastic toys
- Clean the fridge shelves – so you can see through them
- Wipe up spills on tile floors
- Shine kitchen and bathroom faucets
- Clean essential oil diffusers – this is how I do it
- Disinfect trash bins
- Give the tile in the shower a quick clean
- Eliminate grease and grime from inside the microwave
- Disinfect around the potty
- Remove spilled nail polish
- Clean and disinfect bottles and containers to be reused for DIYs
- Wipe clean kitchen countertops
- Disinfect electronic remotes – spray on a microfiber towel to apply
- Clean under the dog’s bowls
- Remove toothpaste and makeup from bathroom vanities
- Wipeout silverware trays and drawer liners
Now, you can see why this essential oil cleaning spray saves me so much time and comes in handy for spring cleaning tasks. You can practically spray this essential oil cleaner to your heart’s content. Just make sure to avoid painted surfaces or wood.
Related To: Essential Oil Laundry Hacks
Time-Saving DIY Multi-Purpose Essential Oil Cleaning Spray
I know you’ll love the fact that this DIY cleaner only requires three main ingredients you most likely have on hand. It’s so easy to bottle up and very cost-effective! And the refreshing scent of lemon and herbal, earthy notes of sage make everything this spray touches smell divine!
Essential Oil All-Purpose Spray Ingredients
16-ounce glass spray bottle
12 drops sage essential oil
24 drops lemon essential oil
14 ounces 70% isopropyl or rubbing alcohol
1 teaspoon hydrogen peroxide
How to Make an Essential Oil All-Purpose Spray
- Combine 14 ounces of 70% isopropyl or rubbing alcohol with 1 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide into a 16-ounce spray bottle.
- Add a combination of 10 drops of sage essential oil and 20 drops of lemon essential oil to the spray bottle.
- Place the spray nozzle on the bottle and tightly close. Then shake it vigorously to combine all ingredients thoroughly.
- Add a fun vinyl decal or another waterproof label like this one that comes with a glass spray bottle.
Now you can use this essential oil cleaning spray as a DIY multi purpose cleaner to keep your home tidy while saving you time! Make sure to shake it before each use.
Want more easy essential oil cleaning recipes? Check out these DIY essential oil cleaners!
MORE ESSENTIAL OIL DIYS:
- Cinnamon Essential Oil Blends Charts
- Pumpkin Spice Sugar Scrub Recipe
- Cinnamon Spice DIY Shower Steamers
- Essential Oil DIY Bath Melts
- Lavender Essential Oil Diffuser Blends
P.S. Don’t forget the free printable chart above! Tag #oilychic on Instagram to share your essential oil DIYs with us.