Do You Love Using Essential Oil Room Sprays?
I can’t get enough of the freshening power of essential oil room sprays. Just a mist or two and they make our home smell fresh, clean, and cozy… even if it’s a mess.
The alternative, run the mill aerosol room sprays can be bad for our health even if they might smell great. Many people including myself are allergic to most store-bought air fresheners, candles, and perfumes. If a migraine headache wasn’t bad enough, I get rashes, hives, and contact dermatitis. It’s no fun at all.
So when it comes to fragrances in our home, we go as natural as possible – it’s easy to do! Thankfully, we can make our home smell great without allergens and unnecessary chemicals. And fall fragrances are no different.
This article contains some affiliate links for your convenience, read the full disclosure policy.
Bring on the Cozy with Simple Fall Essential Oil Room Sprays
It’s cozy season – time to unplug, unwind, and enjoy the simple pleasures of fall.
Adventures through corn mazes, horseback riding, or getting lost in the apple orchard are sequential to the season. And you can soak up every ounce and pour into a homemade essential oil room spray.
How do you make room spray with essential oils? All it takes is a few steps and three simple ingredients. I created a natural room sprays for all our fall favorites and you can too!
Related: Cozy Diffuser Blends
Related: DIY Essential Oil Perfume
Tip for Getting the Most Out of Your DIY Essential Oil Room Sprays
Here’s the Thing
I’ve been making essential oil room sprays for years. After trying several different room spray recipes and using each daily I discovered a few things.
- Don’t add baking soda to a room spray. It will eventually clog the spray nozzle. And no amount of hot water will unclog it. And it can leave a residue on the surfaces you spray.
- You can’t just add essential oils to water and call it done. Oil and water don’t mix! You need something to emulsify it.
- Rubbing alcohol can emulsify essentials into the water, but it has a terrible scent. So don’t use it, unless you want to think your sixth-grade science class every time.
- Buy a cheap bottle of vodka! Yep, I’m giving you prompts to visit the liquor store or at least the aisle in Target. Vodka doesn’t leave a residue or clog spray nozzles like baking soda. And compared to rubbing alcohol it’s practically scent-free. Plus it will emulsify the essential oils with water so you actually don’t have to shake it before use.
OK, now that we’ve got that covered, let’s get to work! Are you ready to make a fall infused DIY room spray?
Essential Oil Room Spray Recipe Base Ingredients:
- ¼ cup vodka
- ¾ cup distilled water
- 1 8-ounce glass spray bottle
How to Make Essential Oil Room Sprays:
Using a funnel pour ¼ cup vodka into an 8-ounce glass spray bottle (these are the ones I used). Then remove the funnel and scroll below to add your choice of fall essential oil blend.
Next, add the funnel once more pour approximately ¾ a cup of distilled water into the spray bottle to fill. Remove the funnel and place the spray nozzle on. With nozzle closed shake well once to combine.
5 Fall Essential Oil Room Spray Recipes:
Celebrate all the things you love about fall with an essential oil room spray recipe. Each recipe is designed to capture the aromas and feelings of fall for your home.
Cinnamon Roll Essential Oil Room Spray Recipe:
- 5 drops nutmeg essential oil
- 10 drops cinnamon essential oil
- 10 drops vanilla essential oil
Misty Morning Essential Oil Room Spray Recipe:
- 10 drops bergamot essential oil
- 10 drops lavender essential oil
- 5 drops clary sage essential oil
Pumpkin Spice Essential Oil Room Spray Recipe:
- 6 drops nutmeg essential oil
- 5 drops clove essential oil
- 10 drops cinnamon essential oil
- 4 drop ginger essential oil
Falling Leaves Essential Oil Room Spray Recipe:
- 10 drops orange essential oil
- 10 drops cardamom essential oil
- 5 drops ginger essential oil
Trick or Treat Essential Oil Room Spray Recipe:
- 10 drops spearmint essential oil
- 10 drops tangerine essential oil
- 5 drops fennel essential oil
What essential oils make a room smell good? How do you make your own blends?
When we’ve got a dozen or more essential oils the fun really starts! But, often times when we start essential oil blending we come up with mixed results. Refer to our printable blending wheel for help. Or use your choice of these fall essential oils to make natural room sprays.
BEST FALL ESSENTIAL OILS FOR BLENDING
- Bergamot: Citrus / Bright / Calming / Uplifting
- Cardamom: Invigorating / Warm / Cleansing / Spicy
- Spearmint: Herbal / Minty / Calming / Uplifting
- Cinnamon: Spicy / Protecting / Warming / Awakening
- Clove: Spicy / Warming / Protective
- Juniper: Woodland / Earthly / Calming / Grounding
- Ginger: Warming / Accelerating / Stimulating
- Orange: Citrus / Sweet / Happy / Uplifting
- Clary Sage: Calming / Herbaceous / Cleansing
- Nutmeg: Warming / Relaxing / Spicy
- Balsam Fir: Cleansing / Grounding / Woodland
You May Also Like: Essential Oil Storage Ideas
You May Also Like: Essential Oil Fall Lookbook
Are you dashing into fall? Fuzzy sweaters, cozy blankets, tall boots, hot cider, and all things pumpkin? Make the most of fall essential oils – support a healthy lifestyle with a homemade essential oil room spray recipe!